Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Growing a Family

Meet Baby #2. Isn't s/he a charmer?

Feb 1st - 13 weeks along
Emma was my Bean from the very beginning, but I'm not sure what to call this one. According to my weekly Baby Center email, the wee one is currently the length of a medium sized shrimp. I know it's not exactly endearing, but it isn't inaccurate either, so the baby will be referred to as "Shrimpy" for the remainder of this post.

I found out I was pregnant at the beginning of December and actually managed to keep it a secret until Christmas. Well, mostly a secret. For safety reasons, I have to let all of my coworkers and bosses know I'm pregnant right away so no one asks me to take X-rays or help with chemo treatments, so I got to share the news with the Vet Ladies. Having some friends to talk to about made it a lot easier to keep such important news from my mother.

I think she's excited.
My parents and Barry's dad found out as part of their Christmas presents. Emma was wearing this shirt on Christmas day. Grammie unzipped Em's sweatshirt for me, saw what Emma was wearing, and proceeded to scream and squeal in my daughter's face. Poor Emma had no idea what was going on and started to cry. It was priceless.

I am extremely grateful that this pregnancy has been smooth sailing, just like the first one. I've been nauseous but haven't vomited at all, aside from that quick stomach flu a few weeks ago, but that doesn't count. I am very tired. No. That's not the right word. Exhausted is a much more accurate description. Not only am I hosting a parasitic, super fast growing human in my uterus, I am also chasing around at least one small child all day. It wears on a girl. As the first trimester is finishing up, I'm starting to feel a little of my energy coming back, but I'm fairly certain that I still look like a zombie most of the time.

The main difference between pregnancies is that I don't get to sit around and think about this one. Poor Shrimpy only gets my thoughts a few times a day, especially when Emma come and asks to "see" the baby and softly rubs my tummy to say hello. (Sweetest thing, ever.) I also ponder my pregnancy each night as I lie in bed and have some quiet time to myself. Otherwise, my attention is usually on my wild and crazy almost two year old, or I'm zoning out with a good book. By this point of my first pregnancy we had already picked out a boy and girl name, so we were ready. Now, with Shrimpy, we've agreed on a potential middle name for a boy, and that's it. It's weird how life changes.

I'm very excited for this baby. I am happy that Emma will have a little brother or sister to play with and grow up loving. I'm looking forward to feeling Shrimpy move, getting a big, fat belly, and experiencing all of the changes of pregnancy. I am especially excited to watch our family grow and adjust as we add another child to the madness of it all.

I'll be sure to keep you updated.

(Oh. Maybe I should mention. The kiddo is due in early August.)

2 comments:

  1. Being pregnant was two of the very best times in my life. I felt so healthy and *special*! Enjoy it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! I'm glad there will be another cute little Spencer in the world. :)

    ReplyDelete