Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Zoooooo!

I typically go to Zumba on Wednesday mornings and get some wonderful exercise. However, in the wee hours of the pre-dawn during one of my many wakings, I decided to change things up. Today's work out was brought to me by The Oakland Zoo!

Whooo Are Youuu?
I love the zoo - any zoo. I love seeing so many animals in one place. I love the Oakland Zoo because it's only 30 minutes away from my house, it's small enough to see just about everything in 2 hours, and I've got the whole place memorized and don't need a map. Also, my horrible allergies get remarkably better once I leave the tri-valley.
We had lots of fun. Liam fought sleep for the first bit, slept through the next stretch, and was actually awake to see some animals before it was time to go. He seemed to enjoy himself. Emma had fun, too. Once we were inside the gate and sunscreen was applied, she asked to see the alligators. That was a new request for her. By the time we got to them she wasn't terribly interested, but that's to be expected. After all, she is 3 years old and has an attention span of a... look at those otters!

My mommy-heart smiled when I saw this mama baboon with her two week old baby. It always makes me feel warm and fuzzy when I see the gentle, nurturing side of animals. Emma's comment, "Mommy, they have pink bottoms." was also very precious. I think we have that discussion every zoo trip.

While watching the chimpanzees, we saw some women behind the scenes talking to a chimp through the fence. I felt a little pang of sadness that I'm not working in a field with exotic animals. Oh well. At least I'm working in the veterinary field. Then there's teaching, which I will go back to someday, and that's not so different from working in a zoo.

After lunch we took a ride on the train. It was Liam's first train ride and he loved it.

We all did.

I am so in love with my children.



This happened on the way home. Melts my heart.

P.S. Emma walked the entire time without complaining. Thank heaven for modern medicine. We've come a long way in the past (almost) two years.


No comments:

Post a Comment