Sunday, March 18, 2012

Emma's Amazing Boo-Boo Shot

I've said it before, I'll say it again: My daughter is amazing.

Today, while getting ready for her weekly injections, I asked Emma what song she wanted me to sing to her as a distraction. She said, "No. Emma sing it."

So, while I injected foul methotrexate into her arm, she sang the ABCs happily and didn't put up a fight. Then, while she watched me inject icky Enbrel into her leg, she sang "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" and didn't put up a fight.

When it was all over I was very aware of my heart pounding.

Dealing with a screaming, crying toddler while getting a shot makes sense. It isn't fun for a parent, but it seems normal that these small, fragile people should hurt when stabbed with a needle.

Watching my brave, resilient toddler get two shots without flinching breaks my heart a little. No two year old should have to be so strong. I can only imagine the kind of strength she will develop as she grows.

Em & Winter
Help us fight Juvenile Arthritis and all forms of arthritis. Walk with us on May 5th in Livermore. Join our team or donate here: TEAM EMMA

No comments:

Post a Comment