Wednesday, January 4, 2012

The Year in (Book) Review(s)

2011 was a year of ups and downs, that's for sure.
I'm always going to remember it as the year that I learned about Juvenile Arthritis the hard way. It was also the year that Barry worked the least so far in our marriage, but we still survived. I made many new friends, read lots of books, started babysitting, and overall, had a pretty good year.

Let's talk about the books, shall we? (I'm not actually going to review them, that would take too long.) In 2011 I joined a book club for the first time in my life. I almost joined three, but quickly realized that was impossible. I love my (one) book group. Not only am I being introduced to new books, I've made new relationships with women I admire. It's awesome.

I'm really glad that I've found time to read. Once I got a hang of the whole parenting gig, I discovered that I could sneak in a few minutes with a book each day. It became really easy once Emma started napping long enough for me to finish a few chapters. Ah, the life of a mostly-stay-at-home-mom.

Here are the books I read in 2011. The ones with * are from the book club, the rest are just me. I liked them all and would recommend any of these if you're looking for something to read.

  1. Scapegoat - Daphne Du Maurier*
  2. Hunger Games -Suzanne Collins (Probably my favorite series. I'm so excited for the movie to come out in a few months!!!)
  3. Catching Fire  - Suzanne Collins
  4. Mocking Jay - Suzanne Collins
  5. I Am Nujood; Age 10 and Divorced - Nujood Ali with Delphine Minoui*
  6. Magic Hour - Kristin Hannah* (A new favorite author, her characters always appeal to me and her stories are great. They get me hooked and teary-eyed every time.)
  7. Water for Elephants - Sara Gruen
  8. Austenland - Shannon Hale (A really fun read.) 
  9. Winter Garden - Kristin Hannah
  10. Child of the Jungle - Sabine Kuegler*
  11. The Checklist Manifesto - Atul Gawande
  12. Sense and Sensibility - Jane Austen
  13. Persuasion - Jane Austen
  14. Lady Susan - Jane Austen
  15. Outliers - Malcolm Gladwell* 
  16. True Colors - Kristin Hannah
  17. The Eyre Affair - Jasper Fforde* (My pick. This is a fun series that my brother introduced to me a while ago.)
  18. Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte
  19. Heaven is for Real - Todd Burpo with Lynn Vincent
  20. Lone Survivor - Marcus Luttrell* 
  21. Unlocked - Karen Kingsbury* 
  22. Wish You Well - David Baldacci*
  23. Night Road - Kristin Hannah
  24. Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams*
  25. Restaurant at the End of the Universe - Douglas Adams
  26. Life, The Universe, and Everything - Douglas Adams
  27. So Long and Thanks for All the Fish - Douglas Adams
  28. Mostly Harmless - Douglas Adams 
  29. The Story of the Other Wiseman - Henry Van Dyke*
  30. Take Me Home From the Oscars - Christine Schwab (This was very interesting because it gave me a peek into a life of fashion and television, but it also gave me valuable insight regarding Rheumatoid Arthritis and what it can be like to live with this frustrating disease.)
Thirty books in 365 days? Not too shabby. That's not even counting the books I read to Emma!

I hope 2012 brings you lots of literary joy!

4 comments:

  1. I haven't done much reading the past year, because I've gotten involved in other things. I read all of Jane Austen's novels and I'd have to say Pride and Prejudice was my favorite. That novel started me reading the classics, and I loved them.. I'm reading Wuthering Heights right now, another of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still follow the books you guys read in the club. I don't read as much I did pre child #4, but I get a few in a year. Some books on your list I am going to look for. The Hunger Games was excellent and I too can't wait for a movie. Too bad we can't go together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've barely read anything since Heather was born, but I recently got the hang of reading while breastfeeding, so I hope to be reading lots more now! Hurray for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cherie! I read The Hunger Games series because you recommended it to me! :) It is too bad we can't get together for a movie night.

    ReplyDelete