Thursday, July 14, 2011

The Next Step

Today we spent an hour and a half at the doctor's office. First we waited. Then I talked with the nurse while Emma ran through the room and tried to get into everything. We went over all of the side effects of methotrexate. We also went over everything I need to know to start giving Emma the weekly injections. I picked up the medication, bought my sharps disposal container (I feel so official.) and went back to see the nurse once more. This time Emma played with rubber gloves and a (clean, unused) specimen cup while I talked with the nurse. We double checked that the medication dosage matched the prescription. We played with a syringe to check out the size of the needle and make sure I knew exactly how much medicine I would be drawing up and giving.

I got more direction than necessary, but that's okay. In fact, I think I got more instruction on how to draw up a liquid with a needle and syringe from this nurse than I've received from any of the vets I've worked for over the years.

The nurse is great. Emma's doctor is fantastic. I feel like we're getting really special treatment and it is refreshing to see that, in this busy, fast-paced world, these people are taking the time to care. I'm really happy with Em's medical care so far.

Back at home, while Emma napped, I spent a ton of time on the internet and felt productive. First, I ordered three books about treating arthritis through natural methods, particularly diet. I'm interested to see what they say and try out some new recipes that will supposedly help decrease inflammation. Anything is worth a shot. I figure the more we do to help control this madness, the better odds we have of succeeding.

Then, I starting reading blogs written by other moms of kids with JRA. Check out the list I added to the bottom right of my blog if you'd like to read some. It feels good to know we're not alone, to see that other families struggle with this, and to learn that so many people are stepping out and speaking up in their communities to educate others about this disease. Awareness is important. I mean, really, I never heard of a child getting arthritis until it happened to my own kid. I look forward to following these other families' journeys and learning from their experiences.

Last, I called our local chapter of the Arthritis Foundation in an effort to connect with people in my own community and learn how to get involved. Unfortunately, the lady in charge of the JRA department wasn't in, but I left her a message, so we'll be in touch soon.

I feel good. I feel like I'm finally doing something, like I'm taking steps to improve to my little girl's progress.


We'll see how her first injection goes this weekend...

2 comments:

  1. While, of course, I am so sorry to hear that your lil' Emma was diagnosed with JRA, I couldn't be less worried about her with a mom like you! You are so well equipped to help Emma through the pain and leading her to recovery.

    I don't know much about JRA, but Kristina's grandpa just passed away last month after nearly 90 years of the same condition and it never got in the way of him accomplishing anything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Beautiful Sarah! I just caught up with your blog and am so grateful that you've taken the time to update and share... Your strength is such an inspiration. Your Baby Bean is so splendid. I send her endless streams of healing rays, and lots of love to you... you are amazing.

    ReplyDelete