Monday, August 6, 2012

Liam's Grand Entry

Well, folks, I have two kids now. Let me tell you how it happened...

On Wednesday we went to the hospital at 7A.M. so I could change into my lovely gown and go through a bunch of pre-surgery things, like answer questions, get an I.V., and wait. Then we waited some more. Apparently a lady who was trying a VBAC had her uterus rupture, so she got an emergency c-section and I had to wait a little longer. Ouchy.

Then my scheduled doctor got pulled away to the E.R., so I had to wait a little longer still for a different surgeon. That turned out to be fine, because the new guy was AWESOME. The doctors and nurses were accommodating and did things just a little differently than usual to avoid aggravating my itchy adhesive allergy. Everyone was super nice.

I got my spinal, became numb to all pain and heat from my chest down, and we were ready for surgery. Everything felt surreal, I didn't feel like I was about to have a baby and I wasn't really sure if I wanted to have another baby. What had we been thinking?!?! Was it too late to change my mind?

Obviously, we proceeded in spite of my sudden doubts, and I'm glad we did.
"I'm having a c-section RIGHT now!"

Surgery went beautifully from start to finish.

When Liam was delivered, he had some fluid in his lungs. That's not unusual with c-section babies because they don't go through the squeezing pressure that regularly delivered babies experience. With Emma I was terrified about this, but she only had a small amount of fluid in her lungs and coughed it out instantly. This time I didn't worry about it at all, so of course it caused a problem.

My newest love
Liam had a difficult time clearing all of the amniotic fluid from his lungs. We waited and watched. The nurse gave him additional air to breathe through an oxygen mask that would keep his airways open, and we waited. However, he just couldn't manage to clear his lungs.

I was lying on the surgery table, staring straight ahead, (because craning my neck to look at my baby made me nauseous) and praying. The nurse working with Liam said that they were probably going to take him to the NICU to continue with the air flow and do chest X-rays. I started praying harder. Then I had a sudden knowledge that Barry needed to give Liam a blessing*. He put his hand on little Liam's head, closed his eyes, and said a silent blessing while I prayed silently across the room.

A few minutes later the nurses said that Liam seemed much better and wouldn't have to go to the NICU after all. Thank Heaven.

They stitched me up and sent me off to recovery. Barry and Liam headed over to the Well Baby Nursery for a little bath and warming up time. An hour passed and I was getting a little anxious because I still hadn't held my boy, but my room was ready so they took my there to wait.

FINALLY, two hours after he was born, I got to hold my baby for the first time. He nursed like a champ and is all around an awesome guy.

Recovery went really well for me, way easier and less painful than after Emma was born. We came home from the hospital on Friday afternoon and life has been nice. I've never really been a fan of newborns, (they're so needy) but this little man is changing my outlook. He's mellow, sleepy, and so extremely cute. I think I'm a little more mellow this time around too. His crying doesn't stress me out, I'm not flipping out at the fact that he's lost a "bunch" of weight, and sleep-deprivation is already a way of life for me. I've been here and done this before.

Emma and "her" baby.
I love having two kids. Emma adores her little brother and has adjusted beautifully to him being around. When she visited in the hospital her first words were, "Mommy, can I hold my baby?" She isn't bothered by his crying and he isn't bothered by her screams, squeals, and general craziness. Life is good.


*We're members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and believe that worthy men can hold priesthood power that enables them to bless the lives of others in a way that Christ would bless others were he walking the earth today.

5 comments:

  1. We're so happy you guys are doing well, and I can't wait to see you and meet Liam! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a lovely blog for a lovely family. Love all of you! Karen B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Such a beautiful family and I love the story. And yes, ouchy indeed! Praying for you all, and sending lots of love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! And I'm glad all went well - yay for Priesthood!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure how I feel about newborns either. But Liam and I are in love. He probably asks about his Aunt Nenna all the time :) love those Spencer kids!

    ReplyDelete