Monday, August 27, 2012

Type A

Let's talk about me for a change.

I'm a bit of a type A personality. (My blood type is also A, but that's irrelevant to this post.) Don't know much about the Type A/Type B personality theory? Look it up on Wikipedia. The Wikipedia article says something about Type A people being "obsessed with time management." That's me to a T.   
Or should I say, that's me to an A.

This isn't a new thing. My mom recently recalled my neurotic, high-strung behavior as a child. Apparently, when given several days or weeks to complete a school project, I'd come home stressed about it and get the assignment done the next day. (I don't remember this, but I believe my mom.) I do know that the very first entry in my childhood diary says, essentially, that my pediatrician prescribed journal writing for me as an outlet so that maybe I wouldn't worry so much. I also know that my college roommate called me The Camp Director because I organized our friends' activities and cracked the whip a lot.

I think I do an okay job of balancing my rigid type-A neurosis with a more laid-back attitude, once the chores are done and everyone is fed. For example, I enjoy taking a different route to get to the same old place, even if it takes longer. I enjoy the impromptu stop at the park, or ice cream parlor, or friend's house along the way. I let my girl get dirty, make her own choices, and make messes. However, when it's lunch time, we need to eat. When it's nap time, we need to sleep. When I have to meet the needs of three cats, a dog, a toddler, and a newborn, as well as clean up after dinner, take out the trash, and shower before I get to go to sleep at night, my rigid Type A behavior goes into overdrive.

This part of my personality doesn't really bother me, but my husband can't stand it. Apparently I'm no fun because I'm not impulsive and don't really love surprises. He can't whisk our family away for the day without telling me exactly where we're going and what we're doing so that I can bring the proper supplies, clothing, food, etc. We don't go on dates very often because Emma goes to bed early and I don't know how she'd do with a random babysitter putting her to bed at night, and I can't always ask my mom to babysit. My poor Barry has to put up with me for the rest of forever.

Anyhow, I'm a control freak.

And now you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment