Thursday, August 11, 2011

18 Months

How on earth did we get here already?


The Bean has grown so much. Her language skills continue to amaze us. She still talks in babble sentences, but there is always at least one recognizable word in there. She's using more and more small sentences of all real words, mostly "My _______." Her cutest phrase is "Daddy's home!" She has learned some words to a few songs and it is the most precious thing in the world to hear her sing "I am a child of God" or "Rock-a-bye baby." She doesn't get all of the words in there, but you can tell what she's singing and I love it.

Emma's top two canines have made their entrance, now we just have to get her to want to brush her teeth again. She is becoming a more confident climber on playgrounds and loves going down slides. She is still terrified of swinging. Her climbing skills and added height have allowed her to climb on to the couch on her own, which is a little nerve wracking. She loves my old Cabbage Patch Kids doll. We only watch Sesame Street a little at a time, but she loves it and knows several characters. It makes me happy that my kid likes Grover. I'll accept the fact that she likes Elmo a lot, too.

This week she slept through the night once. The kid sleeps about 11.5 hours each night and has slept straight through maybe twelve times total in her whole life. She wakes at least once a night and calls out for me. I nurse her and she goes straight back to sleep, so it's not too terrible to deal with, but it's not my favorite thing either. Yes, we still nurse a few times a day. (Learn why here.) I'm all for extended breastfeeding and baby-led weaning.


When it comes to her JA, it seems that she is getting around a little bit better. Her swollen joints still look the same, but she's almost running, which is a vast improvement from the slow hobble we've been dealing with for the past three months. She seems to be feeling okay, but the more I learn about this disease, the more I worry about what will happen next. I'm doing my best at letting go of my worries and just taking things day by day, but if you know me, you know I'm a worrier. So it goes.

Being a parent is full of ups and downs, isn't it? I'm thankful that the ups are absolutely incredible.

1 comment:

  1. Sarah, she's so beautiful! What a sweet baby girl you and Barry have been gifted with. And yes, there are many ups and downs as a parent - I don't think that ever goes away and in many ways, I think the up and downs get more bigger with age - if you can believe it! You are an awesome Mommy!

    I love your blog and YOU!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete