Sunday, August 23, 2009

Patron of Animals

My middle name is Diane. That part of my name has always caused me to feel a certain reverence for the Roman Goddess Diana. Likewise, I am fond of her Greek counterpart, Artemis. She is the Goddess of the hunt, virginity, and also known as the patron of wild animals.

I don't know how much I identify with some aspects of Diana's fame, but that last part is spot on. In the year that I have lived in my own home, I have been fortunate enough to help a great many animals. Last summer there were several kittens, and (my favorite) a bunny. The greatest was the time that I walked out of my house, knelt to the ground, and had three chihuahuas come straight to me. Two men had been following those little dogs for blocks, offering them food and trying to get close enough to check their collars for tags, but the chihuahuas were not interested. Then I came along and all was well. That made me feel good.

Today I got to do another good animal deed, but this one was more rewarding somehow.

I was sitting at the kitchen table, eating lunch and facing the window, when I noticed a black pomeranian running across the street. I went outside and called to her. She ran straight to me, let me scoop her up, and gave me kisses. She had on a pink collar that had a cute tag which said "Princess" on one side and "Chloe" with a phone number on the other. Chloe most certainly was a princess. She was well groomed, smelled of a woman's perfume, and sat on my lap like we were old friends. We called the number but only got a voice mailbox, so we left a message. I had Barry knock on a few doors, but we didn't find her owner. With no other options but to wait, we took her inside and hung out. Eventually, I ended up taking a nap on the floor with little Princess Chloe by my side, she was so sweet and cuddly. When Barry's phone rang we were happy to hear that Chloe's owner was right across the street, our neighbor's girlfriend who was visiting for the weekend. We walked out and met them and I could see how happy both Chloe and her mom were to be back together. I felt good to see their joy.

A little while later there was a knock on the door. Chloe's mom stood there with some dessert treats for Barry and I. She told me how grateful she was, how she had just recently lost her son, and that she didn't know what she would have done if she'd lost her dog. I almost cried listening to her. I told her I was happy to help.

If I see an animal in need, I help it. That is just my nature.

It makes me feel good and strong when I do something that seems like a small thing, something that comes so naturally to me, and later realize that it is a huge blessing to someone else. It's during moments like that when I catch a glimpse of heaven and I am so grateful for my talents, my strengths, and my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment