Monday, November 30, 2009

So Thankful

I hope you all had a good Thanksgiving.

Mine was wonderful, but it has been a busy four days and I pushed myself too hard. Thursday was Thanksgiving with my family (about 3 hours in the car). Friday was Thanksgiving with Barry's friends and family (about 2 hours in the car). Thats when the occasional cough I've had increased in frequency. Saturday was work at the vet's, then a drive to Eureka for Grandma Dee's 80th Birthday (5 and a half hours in the car). That night I slept poorly on a mattress that was too firm for my sore hips and achy back. Sunday, visit with the family some more, then drive the 5 and a half hours home. Sitting that much during pregnancy is not a good thing.

I got home exhausted last night and kept pushing myself to get things done so I could get to bed early. My hot shower followed by the chills was my first clue that maybe I wasn't just tired. My pregnancy book says that I should call my doctor immediately if I have a fever of 102 F or higher. Mine was 101 F. Awesome. I still didn't know what to do.

Then I asked my husband for a blessing.

If this pregnancy has taught me anything, it has taught me to have greater faith in the power of the priesthood. The only blessings I had received before being pregnant were blessings of comfort when I was emotionally struggling. I asked for blessings then because of the spiritual nature of my problems. I never asked for them when I was physically ill because I doubted the connection between spiritual matters and physical illness.

That has changed. I have received three blessings for physical ailments since I've been pregnant.

This little love inside of me is my world. Her health is the most important thing in my life, so my health is more important to me than it's ever been. I have tested my faith for this child, not for myself, and I am so glad that I have, because my testimony of blessings has finally formed and grown strong.

With the help of a blessing and some acetaminophen my fever dropped steadily. I talked to a nurse and doctor on the phone. I called in my absence for today and lined up a substitute teacher. I had my plan in place should things get worse instead of better. However, each time I woke up during the night I felt more and more like myself.

Now I have the day off to rest and recover, to sleep and relax.

Today I am most grateful for my family. I am grateful for my body and for my growing baby. I am thankful for my husband and for his worthiness. I am thankful for Target brand acetaminophen, digital thermometers, and telephones. I am especially grateful for my Heavenly Father, for the power of His priesthood, and for the love that He has for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment