Sunday, May 11, 2014

My Cup Runneth Over

I've been missing in action on this blog. I apologize. I have started composing many blog posts in my mind, only to find that I don't really have time to sit and write them out.

Tonight, I made the firm decision to go to bed at 8:00 P.M. because I'm exhausted and it's Mother's Day, so I'm entitled to certain luxuries. However, The Fates have aligned against me, once again. (It can't possibly be a coincidence that every time I plan on going to bed early, my children have a difficult time falling asleep/staying in bed.) That is why I am starting this post at 7:59 P.M. If I crawl in to bed, one of them will start crying for me. It's inevitable. So, I'll sit here and stay awake until I feel confident they won't ruin my slumber.

I've had the most amazing weekend.

Friday was fun. I took the day off work, took Emma to preschool, and spent a couple of rare, treasured hours one-on-one with my Liam. Then I ditched my sweet second child and had some grown-up time with old, dear friends. It started with picking up my forever friend and former college roommate from the airport. We then met with two more college friends and ate the most delicious food for lunch. (Do you live in the Bay Area? Eat at Burma Superstar. Seriously. Do it!) I inhaled the mango chicken and coconut rice and I fully intend to return there soon in order to do it again.

It's always fun to watch my kids interact with other adults. This weekend I watched them crawl all over Tanya, fight for a spot in her lap to look at pictures on her phone, and bring her book after book to read to them. They adore her, which is proof that I'm raising them up right. Emma was very attached and so excited to color with Tanya, play with her hair, dance with her, and cuddle with her in the morning. It was adorable and I'm grateful that Tanya enjoyed herself and was so kind to my kids.

Saturday morning was the Tri-Valley Walk To Cure Arthritis. Once again, we gathered together as friends and family to walk a 5K to raise awareness of arthritis. It is a very special event for me. So many people who are extremely important in my life come out to support my family and my brave, strong little girl. We had over 40 people walking with us! I was pumped! Excited to see such good friends, excited that our team raised so much money this year, excited to think that maybe... maybe we can make a difference in the treatment of Juvenile Arthritis. Maybe we can make someone's life better, easier, pain free. Maybe we can save a life.  


After the walk, we spent time with several of our "local" JA friends. I treasure these people. These women and their girls take away all the feelings of solitude that I felt when Emma's arthritis first reared it's ugly head. Arthritis is our common enemy, and that is a force that bonds us together differently than any other friendships I have known. I'm so blessed to have these people in my life.

Sunday has been lazy, which is good because I am tired and my thighs are still burning from yesterday's walk. This Mother's Day I am so grateful to be a mother of two stubborn, bright, funny little kids. I'm grateful for my husband who works so hard so that I can stay home (most days) and raise our children. I'm grateful for my own mom for loving me unconditionally and for being such an amazing grandmother.

Now it's past 8:30 P.M. and I'm certain my darling children are sound asleep. I'd better follow suite.

Thank you to all of you who helped make this weekend so extremely wonderful!!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment