Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Adventures in Hypothyroidism

On Christmas day I gave up sugar. It definitely wasn't the most convenient timing ever, but it's what I decided to do. I had been in a horrible funk, unable to regain energy after my afternoon crash, and I thought this little break from my best friend might help.

I went one month and four days without any desserts, candy, or other magnificent sweet. I wasn't perfect, because bbq bacon cheeseburgers happen, and I'm fairly certain that Chili's bbq sauce is loaded with high fructose corn syrup. I also had pancakes on a few occasions and ate a sample of cinnamon raisin bread at Costco before thinking about its sugar content. (It was delicious.) Overall, I rocked it. I am feeling a lot better, still often tired and lazy, but not as wiped out as before.

Wednesday last week I decided to reintroduce sugar. I had one little See's chocolate with lunch and one mini ice cream sandwich (made with coconut milk instead of dairy-so good!) with dinner. I didn't die or feel horrible the next day, so things are good.

I've decided to allow sweets into my life on a limited basis, and only with meals. I need to make sure my blood sugar doesn't spike and plummet too much if I want to prevent my midday exhaustion, so grabbing a cookie when I'm hungry between meals is a no-no.

In addition to cutting out sugar, I increased my thyroid medication at the start of the New Year. That's probably helping with my energy levels some as well. It's also helping prevent my wee-hours-of-the-night ridiculously low heart rate of 40 beats per minute from happening so often. Good thing, too, because I don't like feeling my heart do weird things in my chest.

Now, if I could just sleep for more than a few consecutive hours at a time I'd really be feeling great...

2 comments:

  1. I totally want to give up sugar too but it keeps creeping into my life...

    ReplyDelete