Wednesday, January 2, 2013

A Holly, Jolly, Cold Christmas

We went on a road trip for Christmas.
Barry has been asking (nagging) me about going to visit his uncle and family in Oregon for several years now. I love this particular branch of the family, I love Oregon, but I do not love the idea of a 12 hour car ride with small children. However, this time, when he suggested it, I said, "Okay."

We loaded up the kids, the gear, the extra snow weather gear, the Pops and his dog, and left our home at 5 A.M. in the pouring rain. The drive up took a while. We made lots of stops to potty, play in the snow, and eat. We also had to drive slowly for pouring rain, and falling snow. Overall, was a good drive.


Twelve and a half ours later, we arrived in Eugene and had an amazing visit with my Rileigh and her family. It was so good to see her and Ben, meet all of their girls, and watch our children play together.

The next day, the boys spent several hours at Cabela's (AKA Barry's favorite store) while the girls and Liam hung out at the house. Then, we drove two and a half more hours and arrived at our final destination in Boring.

We had a great visit with awesome family. Uncle Kris and Aunt Debbie welcomed us into their home. Cousin Kristopher even gave up his room for my little family. Surprisingly, all four of us sleeping in one room worked out really well. Emma loved her arm chair/ottoman bed and both of my kids slept in late. It was glorious.


It snowed. We enjoyed delicious food. Emma ran and played with her cousins. We opened presents and played Mexican Train Dominoes. We laughed hysterically during charades. We had a wonderful time.






I even managed to sneak away with my kiddos for a couple of hours to visit some amazing friends from high school. It was so good to visit with Trevor and Mark and their lovely wives. My daughter played with Trevor & Jessica's daughters. I feel like we've reached a new level of adulthood.

The day after Christmas we woke up insanely early, packed up the gear, the kids, the winter clothing, Pops and his dog, and left the house at 5:20 A.M. This time it was not raining, thank goodness. On the way home we stopped to visit more friends. Every place we stopped, Emma asked me, "Do they have toys?" Thankfully, the answer was always yes.


I'm glad we took this trip, I'm glad I have gained so many amazing family members who love me and welcome me into their lives. I'm glad we don't have any long drives planned for several months.

1 comment: