Well Friends, we did it. We survived another wild, strange, difficult year. How are you doing?
I'm okay. This year was... well, it was certainly something. I had a lot of really hard firsts: Our first ever restraining order against a neighbor (May-December) and my related first ever severe episode of anxiety. Our first ever marriage counseling sessions, my first time routinely attending weekly therapy, our family's positive covid test results and my month-long quarantine (January).
There were a lot of bright spots mixed in with the bad. The kids got to return to in-person schooling after about a year away. I took more walks and hikes this year - Movement and nature time for my mental health, with my dog as my companion, has been enlightening and joyful for me. Also, I flossed my teeth every day! So fresh and so clean! I maintained friendships by spending time with my favorite people and had several very long phone calls with a couple of friends who I don't see often enough. This summer, we spent time with my sister-in-law Dawn and her kids after a million years apart. We vacationed in Utah with family and visited Idaho with friends and went to Yellowstone National Park for the first time! Also, I made magic every holiday and birthday, because that is what I do.
Another thing I do is read. I'm not a risk taker, much to my husband's chagrin. I'm not an adventurer. When a pandemic is raging across the globe, I want to be at home, safe and cozy. When a pandemic is not raging, I still want to be at home. I'm not big into watching t.v. shows, though I did watch "The Wheel of Time" (which is based on *ahem* a book series *ahem*) this year. Instead of watching movies or shows, I typically use my cozy, quiet evening time to read. I also listen to a lot of podcasts and audio books throughout the day, while doing chores, driving, running errands, or gardening!
2021 was a good reading year for me.
I consumed a total of 68 books. 29 of them were audiobooks.
This year I read more graphic novels and middle grade books than in years past. This was the year I finally read some V.E. Schwab, I discovered Untamed by Glennon Doyle, and I made my first dive into Sylvia Plath. This was also the year I participated in my first ever Popsugar Reading Challenge and completed the regular portion. I really enjoyed the way the challenge prompted me to branch out and read books I may never have chosen on my own.
Behold the books of 2021! They were glorious and beautiful. I love them dearly.
HAPPY 2022, People. May it not suck the joy out of your life!!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment