November is my favorite month.
November is when it finally starts to feel like Autumn (My favorite!) around here, even though the season started a month and a half ago. November also means it's almost Thanksgiving time, and while it is a holiday with a complicated history, it is linked in my mind with fond memories, family gatherings, and lots of delicious food. The most important reason why November is my favorite is because it's my birth month.
I have always loved my birthday. Growing up in a privileged white collar home with loving parents meant that I received presents each year, celebrated with extended family, or had parties with my friends each time my birthday rolled around. I can remember my Uncle Kevin —whose birthday was near mine, so we all celebrated together— sticking his finger in our shared cake because he thought it was funny. (If I recall correctly, I found this desecration of our birthday cake to be more rude than funny because I am a certified Party-Pooper.) I can remember a birthday party at a rollerskating rink with my friends. I also remember sitting in the trunk of our brown Toyota Tercel wagon on the drive home from the skating rink because all of my friends were in actual seats with seatbelts. The highlight of that drive was popping my head up to make faces out the rear window at people in other cars on the road. My childhood was pretty great.
As an adult, I continue to love my birthday. I quietly count down to it each year in the back of my mind. (I obnoxiously count down aloud to my family and friends.) I love my birthday as a grown up because it serves as a little milestone for me each year. It's a day to reflect on how far I've come, where I am, and where I hope to go in my life. I love getting cards from family and friends. I love all of the happy birthday wishes that pop up on my social media feeds. Each little note prompts me to pause and reflect on my connection with the well-wisher, our shared history, and fun memories. Those moments of remembering friendships help me to know how very fortunate I am.
I love my yellow-brown Topaz birthstone. I love being a Scorpio while simultaneously believing that astrology is 95% nonsense. I love that my birthday happens at the time of year when leaves are falling from the trees, shadows are growing longer, the air is getting crisper, and sweaters and scarves are coming out of people's closets. It's a beautiful season.
This birthday was a good one. I made a new year (because my birthday is the start of my new year... get it?!?) resolution to practice being in the present more. I'm hoping to achieve this greater state of mindfulness by carving out a little more unstructured time for myself *gasp* to do what I want and to do it with intention. We're one week in and so far it's working out great. Last week I used my sacred time to read. This week the dog and I took a long walk in nature. Next week anything is possible.
Happy November, my friends.

I love you!! And I remember sleep overs with crying girls - that lasted into high school!!
ReplyDeleteBeing in the Present (rather than my “natural” time, the Near Future) took me a little time and effort. You will do fine. Enjoy your new year!
ReplyDelete