Thursday, December 31, 2020

The Books of 2020!

It's almost 2021! Finally!

I consumed at total of 67 books this year! 25 were in print or ebooks, 42 were audiobooks. Some of these were short stories, two were graphic novels, and one was a short book of poetry.

Fun fact: I have been keeping track of my reading for an entire decade now. My grand total of books read in ten years is... (Drumroll please!) ... 342!!!

My log started in a paper journal. A few years later I began this annual tradition of making a book blog post. Now, I primarily use Goodreads to log my reading as I go, though I do update my paper journal periodically throughout the year, and I can't forsake this annual post. Anyone else keep track of their reading in three logs? No? Just me?... I knew I was a weirdo. That being said, if we're not friends on Goodreads and you'd like to be, let's find each other. 

2020 shall be remembered as the year my ten-year-old daughter and I read several of the same books - I'm looking forward to many more years of that happy situation! This year I realized that Steve West is one of my favorite audiobook readers, not only because he has a dreamy voice, but he sure does have a dreamy voice. It is also the year I discovered several new series, including Arc of a Scythe (loved!), The Wayward Children (excellent!), An Ember in the Ashes (Love!), and The Throne of Glass (Like/and find it annoying!). It is another year during which I reinforced my love of Brandon Sanderson's writing. 

Behold, the books of 2020 in the order they were devoured!(Asterisks denote my most loved/highly recommended books.)

1. The Recovering: Intoxication and Its Aftermath -Leslie Jamison (audio)
2. *Starsight (Skyward #2)-Brandon Sanderson 
3. Brain on Fire: My Month of Madness -Susannah Cahalan (audio)
4. They Called Us Enemy -George Takei, Justin Eisinger, Steven Scott
5. The Call of the Wild -Jack London (audio)
6. You Have Arrived at Your Destination -Amar Towles (audio)
7. *Scythe (Arc of a Scythe #1) -Neal Shusterman
8. *A Gentleman in Moscow -Amor Towles
9. Randomize -Andy Weir (audio)
10. The End and Other Beginnings: Stories from the Future -Veronica Roth
11. A Heart So Fierce and Broken (Cursebreaker #2) -Brigid Kemmerer
12. Children of Virtue and Vengeance (Legacy of Orisha #2) -Tomi Adeyami (audio)
13. Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince (#6) -J.K. Rowling
14. *Warbreaker -Brandon Sanderson (audio) 
15. *Thunderhead (Arc of a Scythe #2) -Neal Shusterman
16. *Know My Name -Chanel Miller (audio)
17. Supernova (Renegades #2) -Marissa Meyer (audio)
18. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (#1) -J.K. Rowling (audio) 
19. In Pieces -Sally Field (audio)
20. *The Toll (Arc of a Scythe #3) -Neal Shusterman
21. *Smoke and Mirrors -Neil Gaiman (audio)
22. Northanger Abbey -Jane Austen (audio)
23. M is for Magic -Neil Gaiman (audio)
24. The Assassin's Blade (Throne of Glass #0.1-0.5) -Sarah J. Maas
25. Jane Austen BBC Collection -Jane Austen (audio)
26. The Fountains of Silence -Ruta Sepetys (audio)
27. Throne of Glass (#1) -Sarah J. Maas
28. *Aurora Burning (The Aurora Cycle #2) -Amie Kaufman (audio)
29. Where the Crawdads Sing -Delia Owens (audio)
30. Summer Frost -Blake Crouch (audio)
31. Atlantia -Ally Condie 
32. Chosen Ones -Veronica Roth
33. *All the Light We Cannot See -Anthony Doerr (audio)
34. Me and White Supremacy: Combat Racism, Change the World, and Become a Good Ancestor -Layla F. Saad
35. Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass #2) -Sarah J. Maas
36. How to Be an Antiracist -Ibram X. Kendi (audio)
37. Binti (#1) -Nnedi Okorafor (audio)
38. The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes (The Hunger Games #0) -Suzanne Collins
39. *Magic For Liars -Sarah Gailey (audio)
40. *Every Heart a Doorway (Wayward Children #1) -Seanan McGuire (audio)
41. The Last Conversation -Paul Tremblay (audio)
42. *Down Among the Sticks and Bones (Wayward Children #2) -Seanan McGuire (audio)
43. Beneath the Sugar Sky (Wayward Children #3) -Seanan McGuire (audio)
44. In an Absent Dream (Wayward Children #4) -Seanan McGuire (audio)
45. Come Tumbling Down (Wayward Children #5) -Seanan McGuire (audio)
46. Heir of Fire (Throne of Glass #3) -Sarah J. Maas
47. Hunger: A Memoir of (My) Body -Roxane Gay (audio)
48. A Blight of Blackwings (Seven Kennings #2) -Kevin Hearne (audio)
49. Stamped from the Beginning -Ibram X. Kendi 
50. Queen of Shadows (Throne of Glass #4) -Sarah J. Maas 
51. Unearthed (#1) -Amie Kaufman, Meagan Spooner (audio)
52. Undying (Unearthed #2) -Amie Kaufman, Meagan Spooner (audio)
53. City of Girls -Elizabeth Gilbert (audio)
54. *An Ember in the Ashes (#1) -Sabaa Tahir (audio)
55. *A Torch Against the Night (An Ember in the Ashes #2) -Sabaa Tahir (audio)
56. Midnight Sun (Twilight #5) -Stephanie Meyer (audio)
57. *A Reaper at the Gates (An Ember in the Ashes #3) -Sabaa Tahir (audio)
58. Empire of Storms (Throne of Glass #5) -Sarah J. Maas
59. *The Book of Longings -Sue Monk Kidd (audio)
60. Magic Lessons (Practical Magic #0.1) -Alice Hoffman (audio)
61. Home Body -Rupi Kaur
62. Dracula -Bram Stoker
63. Go With The Flow -Lily Williams
64. *Rhythm of War (The Stormlight Archive #4) -Brandon Sanderson (audio)
65. Tower of Dawn (Throne of Glass #6) -Sarah J. Maas
66. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (#7) -J.K. Rowling
67. Reverie -Ryan La Sala (audio)

Please let me know what books you loved and hated this year, and what you're looking forward to reading next! 

I'll be ringing in the new year with this read.

Goodbye 2020! Thank Goodness for my library and all of the books that kept my mind occupied during such a strange year! 

1 comment:

  1. I love following your reads! And, no, you are not a weirdo (or, maybe I am, too?!). I have tracked my reading for a very long time, too - first in a paper journal and then, since last year, in Goodreads (I transferred all of my paper records over to Goodreads). It's fun and interesting and exciting! Right now, I'm reading Lindy West's Shrill. I'm trying to get as much reading is as possible before the new baby is born and comes home!

    ReplyDelete