I'm always going to remember it as the year that I learned about Juvenile Arthritis the hard way. It was also the year that Barry worked the least so far in our marriage, but we still survived. I made many new friends, read lots of books, started babysitting, and overall, had a pretty good year.
Let's talk about the books, shall we? (I'm not actually going to review them, that would take too long.) In 2011 I joined a book club for the first time in my life. I almost joined three, but quickly realized that was impossible. I love my (one) book group. Not only am I being introduced to new books, I've made new relationships with women I admire. It's awesome.
I'm really glad that I've found time to read. Once I got a hang of the whole parenting gig, I discovered that I could sneak in a few minutes with a book each day. It became really easy once Emma started napping long enough for me to finish a few chapters. Ah, the life of a mostly-stay-at-home-mom.
Here are the books I read in 2011. The ones with * are from the book club, the rest are just me. I liked them all and would recommend any of these if you're looking for something to read.
- Scapegoat - Daphne Du Maurier*
- Hunger Games -Suzanne Collins (Probably my favorite series. I'm so excited for the movie to come out in a few months!!!)
- Catching Fire - Suzanne Collins
- Mocking Jay - Suzanne Collins
- I Am Nujood; Age 10 and Divorced - Nujood Ali with Delphine Minoui*
- Magic Hour - Kristin Hannah* (A new favorite author, her characters always appeal to me and her stories are great. They get me hooked and teary-eyed every time.)
- Water for Elephants - Sara Gruen
- Austenland - Shannon Hale (A really fun read.)
- Winter Garden - Kristin Hannah
- Child of the Jungle - Sabine Kuegler*
- The Checklist Manifesto - Atul Gawande
- Sense and Sensibility - Jane Austen
- Persuasion - Jane Austen
- Lady Susan - Jane Austen
- Outliers - Malcolm Gladwell*
- True Colors - Kristin Hannah
- The Eyre Affair - Jasper Fforde* (My pick. This is a fun series that my brother introduced to me a while ago.)
- Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte
- Heaven is for Real - Todd Burpo with Lynn Vincent
- Lone Survivor - Marcus Luttrell*
- Unlocked - Karen Kingsbury*
- Wish You Well - David Baldacci*
- Night Road - Kristin Hannah
- Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams*
- Restaurant at the End of the Universe - Douglas Adams
- Life, The Universe, and Everything - Douglas Adams
- So Long and Thanks for All the Fish - Douglas Adams
- Mostly Harmless - Douglas Adams
- The Story of the Other Wiseman - Henry Van Dyke*
- Take Me Home From the Oscars - Christine Schwab (This was very interesting because it gave me a peek into a life of fashion and television, but it also gave me valuable insight regarding Rheumatoid Arthritis and what it can be like to live with this frustrating disease.)
I hope 2012 brings you lots of literary joy!
I haven't done much reading the past year, because I've gotten involved in other things. I read all of Jane Austen's novels and I'd have to say Pride and Prejudice was my favorite. That novel started me reading the classics, and I loved them.. I'm reading Wuthering Heights right now, another of my favorites!
ReplyDeleteI still follow the books you guys read in the club. I don't read as much I did pre child #4, but I get a few in a year. Some books on your list I am going to look for. The Hunger Games was excellent and I too can't wait for a movie. Too bad we can't go together!
ReplyDeleteI've barely read anything since Heather was born, but I recently got the hang of reading while breastfeeding, so I hope to be reading lots more now! Hurray for reading!
ReplyDeleteCherie! I read The Hunger Games series because you recommended it to me! :) It is too bad we can't get together for a movie night.
ReplyDelete