Thursday, December 1, 2011

Amazing.

My blog's title is so appropriate. Not only did it become one of my favorite hymns, (Listen here!) but it really captures my sentiments most of the time. I look around at the events unfolding in my life and I am completely awed and amazed. So, this specific entry's title may be a little redundant, considering the big title across the top of the page, but amazing is how I feel at the moment, so the title is staying.

Since having a child I've noticed that people love to talk about how quickly time passes. Strangers at the store comment on how cute Emma is, then proceed to tell me that their youngest is in college now, or their oldest just started middle school, and how quickly it all goes. I can appreciate that, and I love that my Bean helps parents to pause and reflect on the growth of their own children.

Watching Emma grow up is exciting. It's amazing, really. I've always been more of a fan of children than infants, so I'm enjoying the fact that she is becoming more and more of a little girl and less of a helpless baby. Take a look at the two pictures below.

Dec. 2010

Nov. 2011


















Last year we were sticking her in containers and being silly. She could only crawl and wasn't able to get in there on her own. Now, I leave her alone for five minutes and come back to find her being silly all by herself, because she can. It's liberating.

Another reason why I'm so full of amazement today is that my daughter is so strong and brave. Since her diagnosis of JRA six months ago, Emma has endured many very stressful experiences including two X-rays, at least six blood draws, a TB test, daily oral medications, and weekly injections. These are things that adults don't like to deal with and she is not even two years old. All of it was very hard at first, very overwhelming, but my kid is resilient. She has become so tough, and during today's blood draw she didn't even cry. Not a whimper.

I am amazed to see her blood results show her incredible response to treatment. One test called ESR, which measures inflammations, has a normal range of 0 - 20 mm/hr for someone Emma's age. Six months ago her ESR was 87 mm/hr. Today it is 9 mm/hr. Normal. I want to shout it from the rooftops!

I am so thankful that the inflammation in her body is decreasing. I am so grateful that my girl is responding to treatment. I am so grateful that these medications exist, that they have been tested and approved for use in children. That is why we're participating in the Jingle Bell Run/Walk next weekend. The money raised goes to develop and test medications to treat arthritis, so people like Emma can regain a little bit of normalcy in their lives.

Walk with us. Join Team Emma or make a donation, please. 

1 comment: